View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2022, 03:51 AM
Casing the Corners

toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Professor X (Illuminati) (Public Test)

NAME OF THE PLAYTEST UNIT: Professor X (Visionary)
Version Tested:
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Map: Ivy’s Greenhouse
Units:
Professor X (190), Cyclops (II) (240), Angel (90), Psylocke (250), Nightcrawler (AoA) (230) (1000)
Luke Cage (190), Ronin (180), Daredevil (200), Two-Gun Kid (140), Wolverine (280), Skrull Infiltrator (10)
Results:
Big win for the X-Men. Angel and Professor X make a very tough-to-crack pod that keeps Cyclops safe. 

R5T3 is where I realized I had misplayed Nightcrawler starting from R4T2 by targeting the same figure for multiple teleports, so, likely the Fighters would have evened things up a bit more, but that’s not a Professor X thing, and the X-Men basically had the game locked by that point anyway.
The Fighters lack range in general, but Prof X forced Two-Gun Kid and Ronin to engage.
Mental Blast was devastating against Luke Cage, who thought better to retreat after the initial two wounds from Mental Blast in R1T3. Its a bad map for Luke as well, due to being long, and not easy to cross without the single-file bridges on the side, which the X-Men took hold of quickly.
Didn’t have to use Massage the Truth because Cyclops already boosts initiative and I had the advantage through the duration of the match.
Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Map: Conflict Chernobyl
Units:
Professor X (190), Black Panther (210), Beast (200), Rick Jones (80), Doctor Strange (320) (1000)
Upside-Down Man (705), Tarot: The Fool, Flesh to Stone, Hypnotize, Mesmerize, Final Ruin Mystic Flames x5, Lightning Bolts x4, Hellfire: Fireball x3, Healing Energy x3, Hellfire: Fireline x1
Results:
This was extremely quick, with the Illuminati destroying Upside-Down Man from start to finish in round 2.
Massage the truth gave the initiative I needed, despite Upside-Down Man’s 20+ initiative, and luck went all my way after that. Strange landed 6 skulls vs 1 shield, Rick Jones miraculously clung on for two turns in Round 2, which helped Strange and Beast land the wounds I needed before Prof X finished the job with Mental Blast R2T3.
Telepathic Cloak was bypassed by some of UDM's spells, but he still had to get fairly close to use them.
Out of habit, I had my OM3 on Strange for Round 1, so losing initiative meant no Mental Blast. I adjusted Round 2 by putting OM3 on Xavier.
Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT'S COST, BALANCE, & DRAFTABILITY:
Extremely draftable, should go up some points with some balancing measures to make him less oppressive.
I would consider making Telepathic Cloak require an unrevealed OM on the card, so if you win initiative, and there is no X on the card, that means your opponent can target you on their Turn 3 once you reveal OM3. Also means you don’t get to use the X to boost Cyclops (II)’s initiative on top of using it for Telepathic Cloak.

I would also cut down the range on Mental Blast so that a character like Luke Cage isn’t charging to his death in order to reach Xavier. I might go so crazy as to reduce it down as far as Range 4. If the range goes down that far, I don’t think his points would need to go up that dramatically. Strange's Teleportation or a Reed invention can help him with his lack of mobility.

Alternatively, he can keep the Range 10ish, but substitute X unblockable attack dice for X D20 rolls, requiring a 14 or higher.

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT:
Nails the theme, and will benefit the Illuminati by forcing engagements and providing reliable autowounds. He does pose some risk by encouraging tight pods against opponents with AoE attacks that don’t require clear sight, but that is niche. Really shined in Cyclops (II)’s army, and I’m sure will do great with Chuckernaut.

SHIFTREX’S THOUGHTS:
In his most competitive builds I think this unit is too overpowering. Taking away all ranged interaction with himself and all adjacent friendlies is a huge impact in how you play the game. You have an 'invisible' pod that can still take ranged actions. In the build with Scott, Xavier can just throw unblockables at the end of the round with very little commitment. I would expect that he needs to cost more, the themes are correct and I completely buy Xavier being able to do something like this. I think he is a bit polarizing at this point total, he brings a lot to the table and is a great figure. Xavier slots into some strong builds and makes them considerably stronger.

Last edited by toyhandle; September 18th, 2022 at 04:31 AM.