View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:13 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Food for Thought: A Discourse on Deities

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney View Post
I take God with capital G to imply a desire for worship. And I wouldn't worship a being that lacks one of the three omnes. So when I said "why call him God," and I believe Epicurus meant it similarly in his proof, I meant "why worship him?"
Broadly speaking, I agree with you what with me not being a theist myself and all that, but I find this an interesting point to push on. I might not be quite the right person to propose this topic, but in arguments where God’s all powerful, all knowing, and all good natures seem to contradict each other, I have very rarely seen people deny omniscience or omnipotence. Yet eliminating either or both of them solves many of the problems in which they come up.

That being the case, I wonder if a God who may not be all knowing or all powerful but who is truly all good and wants the best for us might really be worth worshipping. I don’t personally believe such a being exists regardless, but it seems like a much easier sell that doesn’t have to jump through quite so many logical hoops.

I bring this up because of Dysole’s post very early in this thread where she mentioned that she wasn’t quite convinced of the omniscience or omnipotence of God. That idea struck me as interesting, and so I’m curious: if such a being existed, would you woship them? Assuming that their limited power and knowledge still allowed them to affect a positive influence on yourself and the world. To be honest, I’m not sure how I would answer myself.
I'm confused as to why I would worship it. It's more or less a Barney the Dinosaur, in a sense. With its lack of omniscience it would be prone to mistakes and error, and thus rebuke, and with its lack of power could not fix these things in which it erred, regardless of inent. In all things save love, it would effectively be human.

So why worship it? That said, why worship at all, I suppose?

~JS, falling hook-line and sinker down the rabbit trail

Last edited by Joseph Sweeney; May 23rd, 2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Dad_Scaper threatened to steal my keyboard... needed editing :rofl: