View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2019, 09:54 PM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart
Re: [Pod 1] UNIT NAME (Ob Nixilis, Demon of Spite) - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
Alrighty, now we can get into ironing out this guy's powers. I think the aura+spirit idea has remained a favorite throughout discussion, so for now let's stick to that. I personally prefer a negative aura that hinders allies rather than helping enemies, and I think that squares well with our choice of species--I don't see a demon helping his allies, and an aura that has to include enemy figures means that simply summoning him and leaving him in one spot with the Acolytes won't be all that effective.

Here's the combination of powers that I like best:

Misfortune Aura
After an opponent rolls defense dice for a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of (figure name), you may have that player re-roll all dice once. You may only use Misfortune Aura once per turn.

(I still think this aura fits a tormenting demon lord who deals in curses and spite. Adding a once per turn restriction at the end limits the amount of time and re-rolling it will add to the game.)

Demon's Frailty Curse 2
When (figure name) is destroyed, place this figure on any Unique Army Card. (Figure name)'s curse subtracts 2 from the defense value on that army card.

(This seems like the simplest direction to go with the spirit and I like it the most. Variants of Soul Decay Aura or spirit are intriguing but I think pushing on complexity and could be irritating to keep track of. -2 defense permanently on any unique card is quite powerful, but it won't justify this figure's price on its own.)

I'd personally push for some variant of these to be on the final card. I haven't, however, kept good track of everyone's preferences throughout discussion, so I'm curious where the rest of the Pod is at here.

I like what you suggested earlier in the thread as an alternative to misfortune: And its easy...

Veil of Darkness
(Opponent's) figures within 4 clear sight spaces of (figure name) may not make normal attacks against non-adjacent figures.

Also prefer Scytale's Soul Decay Curse:

Soul Decay Spirit
When <unit> is destroyed, you may place it on any Unique Hero Army Card. After any player takes a turn with that unit, that player must roll the 20-sided die. If they roll a 7 or less, that Hero receives a wound.

Soul Decay:
After moving and before attacking with unit roll the 20-sided die. If they roll 19 or higher all adjacent figures receive a wound.