View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Advice on what sets to buy..

I'll Just pinch the post I made about this question months back... and not include any of the newest stuff - I'd like to play with it first before giving any advice on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd Stev
-Malliddon's Prophecy-
Wave one is almost a MUST with Marcus and his Roman legion, the grut orcs with Tornack and the venocs with their warlord. In this case doubles of each common is a MUST, and since they are all swarm-type squads triples or even quads is ideal. Each booster comes with a new glyph too - added bonus!

-Utgar's Rage-
Wave two has some very nice units as well, though it mostly just builds up your Utgar deck (that’s the red cards) The 4th mass are generally considered one of the best ranged squads to date (and for good reason), so double or even triple up if you can. The marro drones are another swarming squad so triples is a must to get the max out of their abilities and quads is generally a good idea. The Knights of Weston are a great heavy infantry type squad that comes with a common hero in the swog rider, so again doubles are a MINIMUM. The hero pack has some good pick ups, most notably Krug.

-Jandar's Oath-
Wave three, often hard to get a hold of, has some nice units that don’t DEMAND more than doubles of. The sentinels of Jandar (and the monks they come with) often fair well with only 2 sets, ditto for The MacDircks and the microcorps. Again the same can be said for The G’nators and Marro Hounds, though triple hounds can have a nice kick to them doubles is often enough for a starting collection. The hero pack has some nice options, with the oft underplayed Concan and Sayland and the hard hitting MacDirck champion.

-Zanafor's Discovery-
Wave four only has two common sets, both of which really gain value with triples or more. The warlord bonding Sacred Band and their viper counterparts the Armoc are again swarming –type squads and as such the more you have the more playable they become. The second set – the Aubrien’s and the Glada’s you can get away with just two, but with the blastatrons release (and Alcolarh for that matter) triples is really where you want to be. Both unique boosters pack a punch, with the hefty Tagawa and 3 cowboy heroes in one, and a smattering of mid-priced ‘novilty’ heroes in the other.

-Thora's Vengeance-
Wave five is another release with only two common boosters. The Ashra / deathreevers is yet another booster of swarmers, so triples at the very least quads or even x5 or more is generally a good idea (you can never have two many roborats!) The blasta’s / Deathstalkers pack is doable with only doubles, neither one gain anything significant from a third set. The unique packs, Sam’s and Ninja’s is a must get for any Eniar deck. The other one has the indispensable Nikita’s with the much maligned Gladiators though in my mind it’s worth picking up.

-Dawn of Darkness-
The sixth wave brings some more “triples or better” boosters with the Zombie hoard at the fore front. I got 3 packs myself and I’m thinking about another one at least. They are the very definition of a swarm squad so there is no such thing as too many. The heavy gruts and the Shades can go it with doubles, but to get the most out of an orcish hoard triples are in order. The Imperium and Samurai archers are another example of this, two will DO, but triples of the TSA are a nice backbone to Eniar’s growing ranged threats. On that note the hero pack has (Amongst several other “about time” heroes) Kaemon Awa perhaps the best thing to happen to the purple deck to date.

-Fields of Valor-
The newest wave, seven goes back to the two common two unique formula. The tempar’s should be fine with only doubles, but the ashigaru are a swarm pack of the highest order so triples is a minimum, with quads being a very good idea. Both hero packs bring even more punch to an already swollen red deck, the vampire family (and the lord of the house in particular) are a frighting shock force to say the very least, and definitely worth picking up.

So yea that about sums up the waves. Like I said I’d start with wave one or three. One has lots of clutch bonding units that really support a lot of heroes from the RotV, but 3 has a good range of commons that don’t really DEMAND triples or more. Also I didn’t include the two large hero sets, simply because they are unique packs and one set is really all you need. Both those packs are worth picking up mind you, as they both boast some of the most powerful figures in the game. Oh and I wouldn’t worry too much about the flag bearers just yet. Most all of their abilities relate to having MANY of the other squads and heroes in a given deck, so until you pick up at least a few of the earlier waves they won’t see much play.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project