View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
... a few games of Star Realms at home yesterday.
I really enjoy Star Realms. I need to play that more. I don't often find myself in 2-player gaming situations so I haven't brought it out enough. I'm thinking about getting extra decks to go multiplayer but I want to try it out first.

In any case, I had another board game night last night. I've been doing these pretty frequently lately. I guess I'll enjoy them while I can.

First up I had my first shot at Abyss. It's a pretty strange game with all the different little systems in it, particularly (as I have seen pointed out) how it has a lot of art and theme for what is essentially a pretty abstract game. The theme really doesn't make much sense, but I still enjoyed gathering resources and working things out. I was hardly going to win anyway but I unfortunately greatly misunderstood one aspect of the rules which led me to frequently overpaying for cards and making some bad decisions for points in the end. I still enjoyed it quite a bit and will gladly play it some more.

After that I taught two people how to play Suburbia. This economic hexagonal tile laying game is something I definitely really enjoy. I ended up making a minor mistake on one of the rules which inflated our scores a little and I felt a little extra guilty in the end when I thoroughly crushed my opponents. It would have been a little closer at least had they not allowed me to pretty easily secure all of the open end goals and land an extra 45 people. I still think they enjoyed themselves despite only just overtaking me if they combined their score and would be willing to play again, so I guess I didn't fail at teaching them in that respect.

After that I got into two 8-player games of Shadow Hunters. This is an interesting hidden roles and bluffing sort of game. I rather enjoyed it overall, though I must say that it can take a little while when you have so many players, especially when a major part of the game is player elimination. Perhaps we were just playing a little slow but I felt at odds with enjoying the chaos and uncertainty of having so many players and the fact that it would take quite some time for your turn to roll around to you again. Two neutral characters ended up winning both games we played, one ending very early with a suicidal character dying first to win the game and the other being stolen from the hunters who were about to finish off the last shadow. I'd definitely like to play it again but I just wish it was a game that scaled a little better with more players.
Good group of games @Ixe .

I own Surburbia and enjoy it, and have played the others games you listed twice each. Good stuff

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon