View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Jer Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite-M
It's as if we were like "Hey, DC and Hasbro, we'd like to give you piles of money, and all you have to do is share the sandbox and play nice," and they were like "Waaaugh! I wants my lolly alls to myself! [/poop pants]"

Joke's on them. More money for us.
Actually, this is all about the "exclusive licensing deals". I'm sure DC gets a good chunk of change from Mattel to have an exclusive license on all DC toys and games. And I'm just as sure that Mattel felt that they had to do it to counter the exclusive license that Marvel signed with Hasbro. The amount of money that either company is going to make on games from those licenses pales in comparison to the amount of money they'll make on action figures.

So really it's more like "Hey DC and Hasbro we'd like to give you piles of money" and DC, Hasbro, Marvel and Mattel all look at the money and say "Hm - those piles seem kind of small. We've got much bigger piles that we're playing in - thanks anyway!"

Again, with WotC moving into the picture the scale changes. But, I think, not quite so much yet that we're likely to see any movement on this front. I'm just concerned that they get the Marvel game up and running again - it stalled out of the gate but I'm still convinced that the Marvel game could very well be a huge game in the market if WotC puts some effort into it.