View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast are going after Heroclix/Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiak
I think this is a well thought out plan to get at Wizkids and the Heroclix market.
In my opinion, Wizards of the coast was at least partly responsible for Mage Knight getting cancelled. As an avid heroclix player when I heard about Marvel Heroscape i was floored and surprised that people at Wizkids(Who I contacted) seemed to be unconcerned.
After getting the Marvel heroscape set I was very impressed with the quality of the figures and packaging and felt that this could eventually become a threat to Heroclix especially since Wizkids has ben plagued with their long running issues with Quality.
Granted, Heroclix and Heroscape plays differently but in the end they are both Miniature strategy games. The only real advantage Wizkids?Heroclix has is Organized play and the number of figures they have in their sets. As a casual player Approved play means nothing to me and I can use Heroclix figures in Heroscape with some custom cards and photoshop until Heroscape gets more figures.
Now with Wizards of the Coast taking over the Heroscape line I can only draw thge conclusion that Wizards of the coast is eyeing the unhappy Heroclix fans out there. Wizkids claims to be unconcerned. if I was Wizkids i would be concerned.
You can look at it as a matter of a carrot and a stick. The carrot is the piles of money to be made if they can play nice. The stick is the possibility of license-based Heroscape horning in on / overshadowing the HeroClix market.

I should think that Wizkids is likely to do one of two things:

1) They ignore the problem and hope it goes away. HeroScape then either takes enough of their market share away from them that they are crushed, doesn't make that much of a dent in their demographic, or remains as a separate but equal competitor (least likely, in my opinion).

2) They bite the bullet and figure out some way to sign a contract with WotC / Hasbro. We get a greatly expanded ComicsScape, they make lots of money, mana falls from Heaven, and all is right with the world.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers