View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Queenmojo knows what's in an order marker Queenmojo knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Dynamics of a Free-For-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd Stev View Post

Point two is very important though, as if one player is far removed from the action they can simply turtle, wait for the others to duke it out and clean the last player standing off the map. FFA’s work best with three (triangular map), four (square map), 6 (hex map), 8 (octagonal map) etc. because these shapes are pretty easy to keep the vertices (start zones) equally distant from each other.

Please tell me I'm wrong because I have been struggling with this for sometime, but it is impossible to make a map with four starting zones that are equally distant from each other. With just a simple square they will be close, but the ones diagonal from each other will be farther away from each other than the ones right next to each other. That is if the starting zones are in the corner of the square. So the next logical choice was to try and make a "plus sign" style map, but I ran into the same problem here. The only way I have been able to make a fairly balanced 4-player map is to make it very difficult for units to move around the edges of the map and to make the middle of the map the most favorable position of the map so that it is actually fought over instead of avoided.