View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2011, 03:52 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: The Army Judging Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Wow. Good idea. +rep.
I've posted this army several places, and I've had some advice from people (thanks Killometer) but I'd like a wider space for advice. So here are the 2 versions I've come up with.
Heavy Gruts x2
Ornak
Nerak
Brunak
Sir Hawthorne
Isamu
500 points, 15 hexes. Basic Idea is use Red Flag of Fury to use Brunak to carry Sir Hawthorne into movement range of ranged squads/heroes, or capture glyphs or height. Sir Hawthorne, in my opinion can keep ranged guys busy enough for the orcs to secure height or an advantageous position for an assault. Bulked up with Defensive and Battle cry Auras, Heavy Gruts become a 3/4 attack defense squad with the heightened chance of getting skulls. 4 attacks per turn with these guys bathed in Auras would be deadly. Isamu cleans up the mess. Several Concerns about this army are-
1) Only 2 figures of my army are immune to abilities due to their size, like Poisonous Acid Breath.
2) The survivability of my figures. Sir Hawthorne is the only one with a life above 4.
3) Sir Hawthorne turning on me. Although considering his point cost and great special attack, not to mention synergy, that's a 5% chance I'm willing to take.

Version 2.0
Heavy Gruts x2
Ornak
Nerak
Sir Hawthorne
Krug
500 points, 14 hexes. As a hero that follows Utgar, Krug keeps the synergy of the flag, but the carry strategy is toast. Krav could rip either Hawthorne or Krug apart before they get to them. However, Krug can survive longer, so long as concentrated fire doesn't come his way. I do lose a special attack though. Not to mention my clean-up ninja. Yet when wounded, Krug will have a high base attack, something my army critically lacks. Concerns about the army are-
1) Carry is gone, therefor my army becomes more vulnerable to range.
2) Clean-up is gone. If I face an army of knights, and the orcs can't hold the line, I lose a counter to one of the best melee squads in the game.
I would love some feedback on this. I'm trying desperately to create an army that is tournament ready and cool aesthetically (I think that's the right word.)
If the goal is to make a strong Heavies army, than you're better off with more Heavies (ideally 4 squads) and with Grimnak instead of Krug, Hawthorne, and perhaps Ornak. If you're thinking of this more as an Ornak army, though, then I would suggest dropping Hawthorne. You're better off with Marcu and whatever other A-level Utgar heroes fit. Dropping Nerak and the Heavies for Cyprien/Sonya or some Hydras is a solid choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Quote:
Roman Legionnaires x3
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Mogrimm Forgehammer
Me-Burq-Sa
Airborne Elite
500 points, 17 hexes (the Drop)
A classic Romans/Warlord build with the Elite for range.
If you using the Airborne Elite as range backup, they have to drop at a very precise moment which you shouldn't really on getting, so I would use Krav and Isamu instead.
I disagree; the Airborne have fantastic synergy with MDG, which is well worth taking advantage of. However, the above army is 530 points, not 500. I'd probably drop Mogrimm for Raelin+Isamu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Quote:
Krav Maga Agents
Major Q9
Raelin RotV
Phantom Knights x2
500 points, 12 hexes
Raelin/Krav/Q9 core w/PK's going for enemy range/glyphs/ ambushing melee outside of Vydar soldiers range. Raelin goes with either PK's or the range pocket, depending on armies.
Thoughts?
I would use Laglor and Guilty instead of the Phantom Knights, so you can just turtle and shoot everything that comes on your side of the board while slowly moving towards height.
I disagree, unless you're playing on a map with open sight lines and plenty of decelerators like rivers or snow. Otherwise, a screen is more valuable.

If you drop the PKs for rats and Marcu, you have what many people think is the strongest army at 500 points.