View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2018, 03:56 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I would like to look at this custom again. I had submitted something similar a while back and made some changes.

The figures are from the first Master Set of Arena of the Planeswalkers.

Custom Notes:
Jinn Nasha (from Arabic and Hebrew words for approx. spirit) is an illusionist who packs a punch with his double attack. His true strength, however, lies in using Illusions to confuse his opponents and launch surprise attacks.

Illusions are a standalone squad that have little (but still some) use without Jinn Nasha. They have no hit zones to make them impossible to hit from range, no defense to make them as simple as a whiff of smoke to dispel, but a low attack of 2 that can let them cause a little bit of damage.

The true highlight of this design are the illusion powers. If Jinn Nasha is attacked, there is a 50% chance that it is not the illusion master, represented by switching his location with an Illusion, which will usually be immediatly destroyed by the attack. If an Illusion is attacked, there is a 25% chance that it is not an illusion, but the illusion master himself, and the figures are switched and Jinn Nasha takes the attack. The powers really make it feel like a game of "find the pea under the thimble".

Play feeling:

I played two games with Jinn Nasha this week and he brings something unprecedented to the HeroScape table with some beautiful miniatures that a lot of us probably already have. Moving him up, you keep him a little further back and generally spread out the Illusions, making it possible for him to swap to one of three totally different positions on the board. It's nice to leave an Illusion within striking range of enemy figures, but possibly somewhere where it won't get attacked (only possible by engaged figures, making this somewhat easier). Once an Illusion is in place, Jinn takes it's place and leaps into action. When the enemy retaliates, he oftentimes disappears to a rear position and allows an Illusion to be destroyed. This often causes the opponent to lose a couple of attacks, as they were probably trying to catch him and hit him hard, especially with squads. A good strategy against Jinn is to target his Illusions, depriving him of hiding places. 25% of the time, it will hit an unsuspecting Jinn instead of the Illusion, but destroying the Illusions deprives him of his ability to disappear. That is also interesting because everytime he disappears, it will cost him one of his 3 illusions. Illusions can be replenished if Jinn can make kills, also an interesting mechanic because his Illusions pop up next to him, up to 2 at a time. Being there means they won't be able to help him disappear to a much safer spot until a little later, but sometimes this can be used to block for him. Thematically, it also feels like when Jinn goes on the attack, he multiplies images of himself in the attack, maybe even as the method of his attack, and afterwards these Illusions can move about and abroad.

I don't know if it is possible to convey playing this guy through text. My recommendation is to get him out and give him a spin. He has one of the most fun designs I have ever played on a HeroScape figure, custom or official or the unofficial continuations. I believe Valhalla needs Jinn Nasha!

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!

Last edited by Tai-Pan; June 20th, 2018 at 04:14 PM.