View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2019, 02:03 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [AotV] UNIT NAME (Eldrazi Ruiner) - Pod 0 - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
IMO, an Eldritch horror would be ok but we have plenty of reasons to use the black hole angle for this guy.

1) Rule of Cool. Black holes are awesome!
2) Gravity Crush SA is both unique and simple at the same time, and I doubt we’d have another opportunity to use the mechanics.
3) We may have another Eldritch Horror opportunity with the Scions. Two themes with one paint-scheme will help with variety in the base set.
4) With Gravity Crush and Gravity Pull, we already have two solid powers for this guy, both being fun for friendly play (17 Attack vs the Hive!!!) and competitive play (Force those Krav into engagement with GravPull, while not punishing everything).
I agree that black holes are cool, but it still feels a little weird to say that coming from a black hole made this alien purple. I'm fine with being outvoted on this, though. Whatever we go with, I think that it should match the theme of the Eldrazi Scions (although I'd prefer for the two to remain mechanically separate).

Quote:
Here’s what I had in my head for this thing’s statline:

Utgar/Black Hole Monster Race/Devourer/Terrifying
5 Life 5 Move 1 Range 3 Attack 4 Defense

Gravity Crush SA
Range 1. Attack Special.
Roll attack dice equal to the size of the targetted figure.

Gravity Pull
After moving, you may choose any figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Blackhole Monster. It’s controller must place it adjacent to Blackhole Monter. Any figure moved by Gravity Pull will not receive leaving engagement attacks or falling damage.

210 points?
I think that 5 Life/4 Defense is too squishy if we're going for the 200 point range. Jotun already simply dies too quickly, and he has bonding and 2 more life, along with a much better attack. Either the Ruiner needs to be faster so that it can get into engagement before dying, or it needs to be able to take a bit more punishment.

This is mainly a wording thing on the Gravity Crush Special Attack, but I think we need to use the word "height" instead of size here. Size makes me think more of small, medium, or large, whereas the height is a specific number on the card. I'm fine if we ditch the "X dice" wording in my quick proposal, although it is straightforward and has precedent with Sir Gilbert.

For Gravity Pull, I was originally envisioning something more along the lines of pulling multiple figures, albeit perhaps only across 2 spaces instead of 3. Moving one figure across a greater distance feels more powerful to me, especially with a heavy focus on single-target attacks. I haven't really sketched out what that would look like, though: everything that I quickly type up doesn't feel quite right just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Gravity Pull SA
Choose a figure. Up to 2 other figures within two clear sight spaces of the chosen figure are also affected. After rolling defense dice, move the two figures adjacent to the chosen figure.

Or this could be just a special power.
This is a very interesting idea, but I'm more fond of the Gravity Crush as a Special Attack personally, and an ability to pull two figures together would feel out of place without some sort of a ranged attack.

Perhaps we could go with a route mixing the two directions a bit:
Quote:
Gravitation Vortex
After taking a turn with UNIT NAME, choose a figure within X clear sight spaces. You may place that figure on any empty space within Y clear sight spaces of its original location.
This skirts the line of becoming a "toss" power, but it could be tweaked to spice things up by changing the number of figures affected or the initial range or movement amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Harbinger of the Void, The Singularion, Starborn Watcher, Relativistic Hunter, Gravitation Lord.
All great names or epithets. Once everyone weighs in on the theme (so far, I think that all of these powers can work pretty well with the two main themes we've proposed), we can narrow down our name for the unit.