View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2021, 10:06 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Interactive Terrain Brainstorming thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie97 View Post
So my thoughts on terrain are that simplicity ABSOLUTELY rules. Look at all the official terrain we got. Nothing that isn’t a destructible object needed a card. Jungle pieces, shadow tiles, lava etc, all have an interesting, dynamic effect on battlefield construction and gameplay, but can all be understood and memorised by an 8 year old.
Now don’t get me wrong, there’s definitely a place in hero’s cape for a bunch of crazy whacky obelisks with 6 different effects or what have you, but if you’re trying for a C3V-level “official” project, this is not that place.
The portals are an interesting idea for sure, as TREX says, but I’m even less sold on the Arcane Rift idea. First of all it adds a layer of variance that I think will make it a more difficult sell to many players. I personally don’t like the idea of the map bringing any level of uncontrolled variance to a game. The only official pieces that do that are the two lava tiles, and even then molten lava barely counts as variance, and lava field is easily avoided as you roll once at the end of the round.
In my opinion, the map should be a known sum. You should be able to sit down at the beginning of a game, and know exactly what everything on the map is going to do. Figure, combat, and you opponent bring enough unknowns by far. Of course I’ll reiterate that I’m referring explicitly to a competitive setting here, whatever you want to happen in a casual game is absolutely your call.
This could be a super interesting project, and one I would love to be onboard with, but I think that baby steps are key, IMO a terrain piece will need more testing than a figure, and too many knobs to turn on the first few pieces is going to make hammering out and streamlining that process exponentially more difficult.
Very well put! I get caught up on really cool ideas, and then lose the simplicity idea. simple and straightforward is the key to success.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!