View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2021, 04:44 PM

Swogger is surprisingly tart
Re: Swogger's Custom Units (Updated 1-17-2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Beawid: Looks like fun - Death Grip is worded a little strangely - the 'engaging' bit's throwing me off, since that has a specific meaning in Heroscape.
I will change “engage” to “attack.” Simple enough fix.

Quote:
Is it just +2 to his attack vs. those figures?
The +2 attack bonus only activates against the big figures, not regular sized ones, same as with Sir Denrick.

Quote:
Where are the figures placed when kept from dying? Where they were (in which case you can bypass that whole thing by just saying 'inflict one wound on Beawid and that figure is not destroyed')? Adjacent to Beawid (which needs spelling out)? Anywhere on the battlefield (which is crazy powerful)?
I had intended for the destroyed squad figure to just be placed back on the space they were on, but I agree it should have been clarified better on the card. Basically the Warrior’s Sacrifice ability works similarly to Parmenio’s Defy Death ability but instead of rolling the d20 to possibly save a Sacred Band warrior, the bonded champion can opt to take a wound to prevent the figure from being destroyed. The bonded squad doesn’t need to be adjacent to Beawid, just in line of sight. I guess there should also probably be a 4-6 space range condition so Beawid doesn’t hide in the corner of a map next to Kelda.

Quote:
Bondsmen of Gotland: First off, I love seeing more historical customs! However, the second power is really confusing. How long does the defence bonus last? It's clearly not for that turn, since they don't defend on their own turn.
The designs are supposed to be based on Beowulf and the Geats. I’m glad people at least seem to like the figures and theme even if my phrasing on cards needs some work.

The defense bonus is supposed to activate if the bondsmen were moved before the opponent has an opportunity to attack them for the first time. Unlike the Romans who can stay in one spot to guard a position, the Bondsmen have to be moved at least one space every three turns/round or their defense bonus goes away. This mechanic forces them to push forward until they are all destroyed or no longer threatened by nearby enemies. So whenever they are attacked, if they are still holding a line or block formation and moving when able, they likely get the extra defense dice. I was trying to differentiate them from the Roman Legionnaires and make it so the squad has to be pushed aggressively into battle; they can’t just bunker down in the safe starting zone, which true Vikings wouldn’t do. The ability is also ideal for surviving masses of ranged units that normally cut down melee squads before they can get close to inflict damage.

Quote:
Skae Mach: No clarity issues, but she seems really quite overpriced, IMO - she's both slow and fragile.
Skae Mach is definitely a very niche figure that probably wouldn’t see much use in tournaments because her range is so limiting and her low-life low-defense stats make her very vulnerable if going on the offensive. She is a glass cannon like Morsbane or Dead Eye Dan with an overpowered ability offset by a low likelihood of successfully pulling off a 20 roll.

I can try to knock down her points a bit, but a figure that has even the smallest likelihood of taking out a 180pt dragon probably shouldn’t be 40-50pts or it would completely break game balance. If Skae Mach is summoned by Saylind or boosted by a movement glyph, she can be a dangerous threat that makes her average point cost somewhat justifiable. She isn't an A+ generalist Hero by any means, but in certain casual themed games her unusual play-style might make a match more interesting.