View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2024, 02:50 PM

Logrey has disabled reputation
Re: LandSCAPE 20 - reimagining a Heroscape battlefield app 2

And then one more. A big thing that interests me in using spatial headsets for LandSCAPE is using it on the day of play. Twenty years ago, the only way to setup a battlefield was to grab a printout or PDF, and to begin the slow back-and-forth between map and physical tiles. I really think that spatial headsets (and in the future, things like smaller spatial glasses) will be a huge boon for game setup: instead of glancing back and forth to a map, the spatial headset walks a user through every step: telling them what tile is needed, and where it goes (not unlike a Lego manual)

Build Notes: Right now, I’m advancing to the next tile by clicking on the left controller, but I think the final solution would be full hand tracking and gesture recognition (ie after placing a tile, the method to advance to the next tile will be something like a pinch in the air, or a tap on the last placed tile. No controllers needed.)

Also - the current effect is very basic and a bit ugly, but again: it’s just a tech prototype. Something much for visually interesting and obvious would be in place for an actual product.