View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2018, 06:45 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!
Re: Ronin's Public Workshopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualizium View Post
While I can see why it might be nice to keep at least some connection to the conventional character card, I think the design space you open up by omitting that stuff is really fascinating. A card type laid out similar to Spell Cards could accommodate both non-combatant figure-less support characters, and things that aren't characters at all.

For the sake of argument you could call them Asset cards and keyword the ones that represent characters as such.

E.g:
Quote:
Micro
David Lieberman
Asset - Character - Unique

When a Vigilante you control... yada yada yada actual game effect goes here...
Something like the Batcomputer could be an "Asset - Tech - Unique".
I don't know. To me, that feels like a bummer. I get why you like the broad approach, but I just don't think that accomplishes what I want, re: implementing otherwise impractical characters.

My goal is to make this as much like a normal character card as possible. I still want to feel like I'm drafting Karn or the Supreme Intelligence or whoever, and that they're every bit as much a part of the game as the heroes and squads on the battlefield. Implementing them as a subset of some broader, more generic asset system feels to me like it inherently designates them as 'less-than' normal cards.

Your mileage on that point may vary, though.

(EDIT: And I'm not saying an Asset system is a bad idea - just that I don't really like it for characters)