View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:15 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates
Donald X. Vaccarino has posted extensively about the creation and publication of Dominion. One of the things that has most interested me about that story is that, until recently, all of the cards and expansions that were published were more or less already created and planned out when DXV brought the game to the publisher. Heroscape had a very different formation, since it was created internally within Hasbro. Nonetheless I'm curious--how far along were the game's later releases when, say, RotV went to press?
Dominion. My dominion cards are worn from playing that game.
When RotV went to press I think we had waves 1,2, and 3 in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
In a similar vein, several of the units in the game were released before the units that they synergized with. In some cases, we know this was on purpose (e.g. the gladiators). I'm curious: did you ever intentionally design and publish units that had synergy with other units that did not yet exist WITHOUT having anything pinned down for them to synergize with?
Not sure I completely understand this question. We wanted to create lots of opportunities to mix and match armies in different ways. We also wanted to create a couple ways to field what I would call standard armies. The marro, orcs, and samurai are examples. It was a planned process, but we also flexed a bit when needed. Sometimes, if players thought an army card was over costed we would look for ways to synergize that card with future army cards or planned armies.

Quote:
Do you have any advice to aspiring game designers? Or, separately, advice to aspiring creatives of any kind?
Game Designer Advice- This could be a long answer, I'll give you the short one.
Get a mentor if you can.
Get to a playable prototype as soon as possible, then surround yourself with players that want to contribute and are good at contributing. Play, Improve, Play, Improve, keep going until you are happy or you want to try designing a different game.

Don't waste time or money on art until you have designed a game that you are very happy with.

Advice for creatives of any kind-
Work hard. Do your best. Have fun. That's what I tell my kids everyday before they go to school. If you are doing something creative, you are probably already having fun.

Quote:
I am so excited to see you posting on these boards. I hope you feel comfortable sticking around for a while. Heroscape was the first board game I got really into and is my favorite board game to this day. I look forward to when my kids are old enough that I can teach it to them.
I've always been here, just not posting... Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by Craig Van Ness; September 14th, 2016 at 02:37 PM.