View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2018, 06:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Cathar Spearmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
I think that the Cathars have a problem of being really overwhelming against players that aren't familiar with how they work, and how to effectively fight them. The first 2 or even 3 games against them, you will probably think they are the best thing in the game. But The people here commenting on this have all fought against them enough to know there weaknesses, and how to effectively fight against them.

No one is saying that the Cathars aren't really good, we're just saying that they can be beaten, and that there are things that are better, and more consistent than them.

To give a few exanples of thing that can beat them in an all melee format, with no aoe special attacks:

Arashara Goshiri with romans, and a few other bonding melee heros to shift with and soak wounds will beat a pure Cathar build, even if both have Realin. In fact Arashara is made even better by the fact that there's no real range in the Cathar army, which is her biggest weakness.

Just pure Hydras. Nothing but Hydras. No braced spear activations, and multiple normal attacks per turn.

Also, Chain Fighters. Chain grab is amazing.

Spiders and Wyverns. Talon grab would negate the braced spear, and the Wyverns could engage to negate braced spear to let the spiders web tangle, and attack.

I could go on, but I have to leave for work now. Point is, they aren't quite as good as you think, especially when the person fighting them has experience facing them, like the majority of the people commenting on this.
I don't think you need to go so fancy. Warhulk+Nerak+Chasers x5 has a good chance against Spearmen x5 + Marcus. Definitely so if the map has Wannok with good height near it.