View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Cathar Spearmen

[quote=Looking East;2221645][quote=Son of Arathorn;2221624]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking East View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post

While I’m not going to argue that the Cathar aren’t very good (they are) and that they can be frustrating to play against for certain, monolithic builds (they are), they’re not broken (IMO). Three little words: Human Champion Bonding. Or Warlord Bonding. Or even Orc Champion Bonding. Anything that let’s your allegedly worse melee bruisers mitigate Braced Spear, or coordinate a ranged unit to negate its effects altogether.
If you can build an all melee army that can consistently beat an equal number of points worth of Cathar Spearmen I would be impressed. You can use any combination of all the melee pieces in the game. Do you know of any build that could pull this off? When I say all melee, I am including special attacks and special abilities. I'm not being sarcastic. I am being serious in asking if you can come up with a melee build that will take them down.

I guess to make things more fair both sides should get a Raelin since she is so brokenly strong in a melee only match up that she would really skew the results if she was on one side but not the other.

My guess is the best approach would be using extremely cheap bonded melee squads capable of throwing a lot of attack dice per OM. They need to be very low cost so that they don't just lose to attrition from the D20 and they need to throw a lot of attack dice to overcome the godly defense the spearmen have.

Since there would be no Zelrig style specials to worry about probably the bonded orcs or romans would fair decently since they are super cheap and could huddle up for bonuses without penalty.

I'm curious enough now to try actually making a game of it next time I get together with my friends to play. Perhaps we will have a "Beat the Cathar Spearmen Challenge Night" to see if anyone can do it.
Raelin is really not broken in meleee vs melee matchups. Any A- and up melee squad can beat Cathar when played well.