View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2018, 09:04 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Overwhelmed by Heroscape

Welcome to the website, @DarthBaggins ! I remember how overwhelmed I was back when I first came here, but there are a ton of great resources that you can use. The Books of Index lists all official units (and any synergies between them) in case you haven't seen it yet, which can be a great help for figuring out what interests you. If anything's too pricy, you can always print out the card and proxy the figure with something fairly similar. Speaking of which...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Personally I would try to just proxy the trees. There are usually good options around Christmas time for a few dollars. For the road, you can play any hexes as road, just say all stone or sand hexes are road.
The bridge is a little more difficult to replicate but you can use hinged paper clips on the bottom of hexes to hold them together to create a span.
I agree with this very much. The Road to the Forgotten Forest set adds a lot to HeroScape (largely from a competitive standpoint, since the roads help melee units and the trees add more line of sight blockers), but you can probably get away with just the castle set if absolutely need be. The only thing you'll be missing out on is the Dumutef Guard (he has a neat sculpt but is not useful in the game) and the bridge.

The "castle-walk" hexes are just road pieces with some extra attachments on the underside, and you can always use pillars without a top to simulate the trees as line-of-sight blockers. There's also plenty of battlements that you can use to simulate the long stone walls, although making the 5-hex long bridge can require some creativity.

That all said, RttFF is still one of the best expansions to the game, the trees look awesome, and I think that $50 for it is a fair price. If you can spare the money on it and want to, then I think it'd be a better investment than the other terrain expansions like the tundra or the jungle. Just remember that you can proxy the terrain if need be.