Thread: HexScape
View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: HexScape

Regarding the 123 Catch tips---

The big things are:

1) Try to provide some background or other texture that is VERY easy for 123 Catch to latch onto to figure out the orientation of each image. That helps to make all of the images count. My favorite way to do this is to put a sheet of printed paper underneath the mini that has a variety of things on it (images/text).

2) While the program seems to do a good job correcting lens issues, it still worked best for me to keep my point-n-shoot camera zoomed all the way out and taking all images that way.

If you have the equipment or want to hack together the equivalent--putting the mini in a light tent, on a turntable, with a fixed mounted camera seemed to provide the quickest and most reliable results of making a 3d model from a mini (provided the mini is on top of a printed sheet of paper as mentioned before). In other words, I rotated the mini using the turntable instead of walked around it with the camera. I marked the turntable on the edge on regular intervals and then just took an image of the mini at each interval. When done with that, I re-positioned the camera to a different height and repeated. Re-position the camera again, and repeat. Worked great and was a very fast way to ensure I had all the necessary angles!

I worked out the workflow using a variety of minis, but only did the zombie models as a final shoot, which I'm happy to share.

This is looking great, Lyrgard! If you're willing to make a HTTP-based or websockets-based server protocol, I'd be happy to provide a way to host it here on HSers.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK