View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Playtesting Armies

Back when I was still a BoV judge, one of my favorite armies to test was one I enjoyed playing, but also helped highlight how different units would function on it.

Krug 120
Mimring 270
4x Swog Rider 370
3x Arrow Gruts 490
Isamu (maybe) 500

This army helped you find out a lot of things.

How did slow, double-spaced melee fare? (thanks, Krug)

How did fast, cheap, common ranged squad figures fare? (thanks to Arrow Gruts)

Any 'dragon perches?' (Thanks mimring)

How did fast, double-spaced melee fare? (thanks to swogs)

Is there enough room for adjacency-related special powers to work? (again, thanks to Arrow gruts and swogs).

Sometimes I'd play a similar army with Raelin in it, to find out where her 'best' spots are.

Aside from that, I'd test whatever armies I was thinking of playing or figured I was likely to face in whatever the next tournament I was attending. This meant a lot of Deathreavers, 4th Mass, Stingers, Q9, etc...

When designing a map, I think there is an important pre-playtesting step where you count how many spaces it takes to do certain things, like get glyphs and such. I'd explain in more detail, but I'm about to head out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)