View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2014, 06:03 PM

personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Personwholives Randomly Updated Customs Thread

It's time for a new custom. Together with Roninvalentina, I present the Black Bog Boomers:

Black bog boomers
3 man squad

Black powder boom special attack
Range 5. Lob 12. Attack 2.
One at a time do the following with each Black Bog Boomer: Roll a d20. If the roll is 4 or less, choose the figure currently making his attack, otherwise choose another figure to attack. No clear line of sight is needed. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by black powder boom. Roll 2 attack dice once for all affected figures, and add 1 skull to the results. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

Powder to spare
For each killed Black Bog Boomer figure on this card, add two to the number of dice rolled for black powder boom, and add 1 extra die when rolling defense.

Keep low, keep fast
When a Black Bog Boomer rolls defense dice against a figure that is not adjacent and is not a Black Bog Boomer, one shield will block all damage.

Move 6
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3
Valkrill
Goblins
Unique squad
Sapper
Relentless

140 points

Figures:
http://www.pathfinderminis.com/gallery10.htm - Goblin Pyro 1 & 2
http://www.pathfinderminis.com/gallery6.htm - Mogmurch

Bio:
The Black Bog goblin tribe is small, but combative. A few special warriors in the group are trained in the use of explosive weapons, though not always trained as much as necessary. Scavenging supplies from their fallen comrades, the only thing more dangerous than 3 boomers coming towards you.... is 1.

We tested this unit in several games, and found it enjoyable, though extremely swingy (My first game, two goblins blew themselves up on their first attack). They rarely killed their points, though they were entertaining, and they forced different play than normal - as any cluster of figures was a guaranteed target. The powers are fairly simple... black powder boom is obviously a re-usable version of the airborne elite's grenade special, and keep low is a slight tweak on stealth dodge (wanted to not have to have the argument about "is a goblin adjacent to himself if he rolls low to throw his bomb?"). Obviously, a squad that could constantly throw bombs would be overpowered, but I think the risk of killing yourself (and if you're standing next to your own men, some other figures as well) makes up for the power of the attack. The last goblin standing will force you to go after it.... as he throws his bombs with lots of punch. It also means that an order marker on the last goblin standing is not a waste.... probably.

In terms of balance, we made a slight adjustment to the self destruct chance on boom (5 or less to 4 or less), otherwise, this figure is exactly as play tested. I wouldn't be surprised if it is overcosted, though by how much is a more interesting question. I'd love some feedback.... and if you think it would be fun, feel free to give them a try.

TL;DR: I put a lot of thought into my posts. Please read them before responding, even if they seem long. I try to make my posts useful and worth the time.

Like NERVs? Try my new app! - My customs

Last edited by personwholives; May 20th, 2014 at 05:01 PM.