View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2018, 07:04 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Ash Williams (Breathing)

Sorry, have been busy for the last few days but taking a look now.

The first two powers are straightforward as can be, so let's get to the meat of it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham View Post
ARMY OF DARKNESS
At the end of the round, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll:
• 6 or lower, choose an opponent. The chosen opponent must then choose a destroyed Hero in your army, if possible. That opponent must take control of that Hero and its card, place or remove Wound Markers until the Hero has up to 2 Life remaining, and place the Hero on an empty space adjacent to a figure they control.
• 7-12, roll an unblockable attack die against Ash or a figure adjacent to Ash.
• 13 or higher, choose a Hero an opponent controls.
For the remainder of the game, a Hero chosen by Army of Darkness has the species of Demon in addition to what is listed on its card.
Wording suggestions

First, as I mentioned before I think the 6 or lower effect has to be limited to unique heroes, due to card management issues.

I think the second option needs to explicitly say "must" for clarity.

I think it's probably worth using markers for Army of Darkness.

Balance suggestion

I don't have any big problems here. As I gather others have noticed, he does counter the Guardians by hitting the 13+ power multiple times. This isn't a huge problem, although I think it would be reasonable to limit the effect to heroes within 5 or 6 spaces, so he can't just sit in the back of the startzone and passively nullify the Guardians.

Gameplay suggestions

I think the back from the dead power is a little easier to manage if special powers are negated. This would serve to lessen the intensity of the negative effect, and it seems reasonably thematic.

You could also argue Army of Darkness shouldn't work on constructs or androids. This would, in turn, encourage using Ash in armies with those figures (to avoid the negative effect), although you could put something in the Evil Dead power that says you can't draft those figures with Ash if you really want to .

Given my previous suggestion of a limited range, I think it's hella thematic if Ash *has* to choose a figure with the 13+ effect, and has to choose himself if he doesn't have other options.

Here's a shot at it:
ARMY OF DARKNESS
Begin the game with 6 Red Possession Markers. At the end of the round, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll:
  • 7 or lower, choose an opponent. The chosen opponent must then choose a destroyed Unique Hero in your army that is not a construct or android, if possible. Place a Possession Marker on that card and place or remove Wound Markers until the Hero has up to 2 Life remaining. That opponent takes control of that Hero and its card and places the Hero on an empty space adjacent to a figure they control.
  • 8-13, you must roll an unblockable attack die against Ash or a figure adjacent to Ash.
  • 14 or higher, you must choose Ash or any other unique Hero an opponent controls within 6 spaces of Ash that is not a Demon and place a Possession Marker on that figure's Army Card.
For the remainder of the game, any Hero with a Possession Marker on its card has the species of Demon in addition to what is listed on its card. A previously destroyed figure with a Possession Marker on its card has all of its special powers negated.
So much of the red there is just the marker stuff... here's without the red:
ARMY OF DARKNESS
Begin the game with 6 Red Possession Markers. At the end of the round, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll:
  • 7 or lower, choose an opponent. The chosen opponent must then choose a destroyed Unique Hero in your army that is not a construct or android, if possible. Place a Possession Marker on that card and place or remove Wound Markers until the Hero has up to 2 Life remaining. That opponent takes control of that Hero and its card and places the Hero on an empty space adjacent to a figure they control.
  • 8-13, you must roll an unblockable attack die against Ash or a figure adjacent to Ash.
  • 14 or higher, you must choose Ash or any other unique Hero within 6 spaces of Ash that is not a Demon and place a Possession Marker on that figure's Army Card.
For the remainder of the game, any Hero with a Possession Marker on its card has the species of Demon in addition to what is listed on its card. A previously destroyed figure with a Possession Marker on its card has all of its special powers negated.

Last edited by dok; September 25th, 2018 at 08:59 PM.