View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:18 AM

fiddlerjones is surprisingly tart
Re: Project Pokemon Design Thread

Well if we're going to start with guidelines, I've got some suggestions. The biggest problem I saw with the last thread was that people were too concerned with translating each pokemon in exacting detail from the games. I'd rather have a HS mini that feels like I'm using a Pikachu (for example) but still plays smoothly than worry with a lot of complicated new rules intended to mimic the video game. Things like switching out and evolution may need to fall by the wayside, though there may be a way to work with that.

First, a proposed guideline:

-All special attacks/abilities should, when possible, use the names of moves in the video games (e.g. Thunder Wave, Psychic, Water Gun). General traits like Flying or Aquatic are acceptable.

Second, a suggestion:

-One of the big draws of Pokemon is the complex interaction between the different elements. One of the big draws of Heroscape is the simplicity and common-sense nature of gameplay. Obviously, these don't really mesh. Let's not go overboard on the resistance/weakness thing. It's ok if not every fire attack is stronger against a grass pokemon, for example.

Finally, an idea:

-Regarding Trainers: This one is inspired by the Stronghold cards from the Legend of the Five Rings CCG. The idea here is that each player starts the game with a Trainer card that represents him/her and gives some kind of bonus. So for example:

Blaine

Fire Affinity: Reduce the
cost of Fire-type
Pokemon in your army
by 5 points.

Ash Ketchum

"I Choose You": Once per
turn, instead of revealing
an order marker, you may
reveal the "X" marker instead
and take a turn with the
corresponding unit.

Just a few things to get us started off...

FiddlerJones Customs
"I ended up with forty acres;
I ended up with a broken fiddle --
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories
And not a single regret."