View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2019, 11:56 AM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSamyon View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Regarding the wordiness, it's always a bummer that we have to spell out flying as it takes up a lot of space and makes the card look more busy.
Wordiness itself isn't a problem per se, but it is a red flag. A card full of powers is often indicative of a design that needs further revision to clear out the bells and whistles and focus on its core design. In this case, I don't see a connection between Fire Bomb and Despondent. Both are big feature abilities; mixing them together on one card ends up with too much going on for one unit.

Quote:
I knew that the bonding break was going to be challenging. I'll see if there is a more elegant way to describe it. Perhaps something along the wear wolf power.
There are ways to break bonding, like how Lycanthropy changes classes. But it's indirect. Targeting any power with the word "Bonding" is really stretching things; it not only misses some bonding-like powers and affects others that aren't true bonding, but it really comes off as a specifically metagame-screwing power instead of something that seems like it fits naturally in the game.

Quote:
BTW, would the sov ever consider a power like the fireball with the tileset needed?
I for one would consider a power that laid molten lava tiles, though I certainly won't speak for everyone on that. As is, I wouldn't upvote the power though, as it's overly complex. Just replacing a destroyed figure with a molten lava tile is wild enough, the rest is extraneous.

More importantly, though, a power that places lava tiles would have to be very, very, very careful. It's dangerously easy to break maps using such tiles. You would have to be able to guarantee that figures won't get stranded behind molten lava and be completely unable to play the game. Given how maps can be designed pretty much any way, that's probably impossible.
Thanks for the feedback. Looking back at it, while my testing and home games may be able to incorporate the powers listed on the card, they are augmented with the fact that I am present to help clear confusion. Lol. I see now that it is a bit much for an official card. I may move that power to a squad that bonds with my dragon to have the same affect and to scale back confusion. Either way, I agree that it needs to be removed from the dragon as both powers are too aggressive for one card.

Regarding blocking the map, I actually intended for that to happen as part of his power but I can see how that for some people that may break the fun factor. However! This is solvable. Typically lava tends to cool rapidly when it is removed from a heat source. We can simulate this in heroscape by removing the lava tile after the end of a round. This will keep the map from being blocked.

I'm going to revise the card and retest under these conditions. Great feedback!