View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2017, 03:29 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: Strongest dragon

I find these things fun so thanks for starting the conversation, but Vegie touched on a very important part of truly analyzing a 1v1 matchup of figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
"....Unless the assumption is that that two dragons just start standing next to each other.
The big range dragons, Mimring and Zelrig should get first strike in all of these matchups. And would likely get at least 2 shots off against Charos before Charos made up the ground.

Then in the 1v1 clash, they should have height in a certain % of the matchups. I would give Mimring and Zelrig +1 attack/+1 defense for encounters with melee dragons at maybe 60% of the time, but I haven't done a study of maps or anything. Those are things to keep in mind along with the terrain.

It's also a reason that I'm not convinced Charos is a slam dunk winner head to head over Nilfheim. Nilfheim will for sure get an attack of 4 first before they become engaged, and on most maps should be able to maneuver so he has height in the battle...at least height for the first attack....maybe Charos still wins that fight though, but i would calculate it as free attack of 4 against Charos then 5/5 w/counterstrike (9 life) vs. 7/5 (6 life)

EDIT: To accentuate this point, I looked at all the BOV maps (32 total) for double spaced figures (so Moltenclaw exempt from this analysis)

On 22 you could definitely get a ranged dragon on spot where it would always have height against a melee dragon
On 3 maps you could do so, but would have to be on lava
On 1 map you could force your opponent to be on lava in order to get even ground
On 4 maps you could not accomplish height superiority
On 2 maps it was not determinable because of potential fit issues with ruins or battlements.

But that's an easy estimate of 70% of the time the ranged figure will have height the entire time of the melee battle.

Last edited by kevindola; August 15th, 2017 at 03:56 PM.