View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Eclipse's Maps (New thread! New format! 7/11/08)

The Modular Colosseum Project (Download)

So, once upon a time I made a map called the Tri-Colosseum

It was well received, but many cried, "Eclipse! How can you expect anyone to build such a monstrosity?" to which I replied, "Silly mortals! You expect me to limit myself to your puny collections?!" Ok, so maybe that's not how I put it, but at the time I wasn't sure how to distill the six door concept using anything less than six castle sets.

Revisting/rebuilding all my old maps has given me a chance to look at a few of these things from a new light. Like any good programmer, my solution to any problem boils down to breaking it down into components and interchangeable parts. With that in mind, I present:

The Modular Colosseum

Special Rules:

Castle Walls - While Flying and other means of ignoring height while moving are allowed, players my not pass over the castle walls in this map. Figures must pass through the doorway to enter the arena. In addition, no figure may land on or occupy any space on top of the Castle walls. These seats are reserved for spectators if you wish to decorate your Colosseum further.

Doorway Height - In this scenario, the doorway is considered infinitely high, and any figure, regardless of size may pass through it. A figuring passing through the doorway must still be able to end their move on a space where they rest flat, so figures normally unable to pass through the doorway must completely pass through the entrance and find a place where they can legally end their move.

Victory - Victory in this scenario may be achieved by gaining control of the Colosseum. A player is considered in control of the Colosseum if they are able to close their opponent's door and no enemy figures remain within the Colosseum. If mutliple Colosseums are used, a player must control a majority of the Arenas in order to declare victory.

Arenas - The Modular Colosseum does not contain a valid battlefield on its own. An empty, 5x5x5 hex space exists within the castle walls for the Arena of your choosing. While several Arena options are available, any 5x5x5 sized map may be used within the Arena for your battle. An Arena MUST be placed within the Colosseum to use this map.

Existing Arenas

I've put together a few Arenas for use with the Colosseum

Modular Arena - Boreal Rink (Download)

This is essentially the ice arena from the original Tri-Colosseum. I've always liked the way the high ground defends around the border edge, but slow you down in the process. The yeti are a lot of fun here as well, which was part of the original design.

Modular Arena - Gladiatorial Combat (Download)

Probably the dumbest map I've ever "designed" but I felt it was necessary. It's a lot of fun to throw Spartacus and company in here to see how much they can withstand. Not much to comment on, but one of my favorite maps to put in with a single Colosseum.

Modular Arena - Marshy Ring (Download)

The only truly new map thus far. This was part of the reasoning behind going modular. Since a quad Colosseum didn't make a lot of sense, and I'd filled the others, I needed a way to use the swamp. This happens to be the only map that only requires one terrain set. Those trees fill up a small space pretty quick.

Modular Arena - Theater of Flames (Download)

Another revision of the Tri maps. I added a bit more of a safe zone and a straight line option to make this map a little more attractive. In the original, this map tended to be a last resort. Hopefully the tweaks will help with that.

Modular Arena - Timber Field (Download)

I really like this map. Its fast, its tight and it generally has a lot of neat options. I tried to keep this as close to the original as possible, but the new size required a few changes.

Multiple Colosseums - In addition to a modular battlefield within the Colosseum, the Colosseum map itself is designed to connect to itself in order to expand the battle. Simply connect on Colosseum to another along the edge of the map and place an arena within each Colosseum. When an even number of Colosseums are used, it is suggested that the left most Castle Wall piece be removed in order to avoid a stalemate.

Of course, where this is all going is that now, finally, the Tri-Colosseum can be built if you have the parts, or any variation of it if you don't. The new modular design also creates the opportunity for all kinds of new map types. Here, however is the original, built using the new templates: