View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2021, 06:12 PM

Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Remove one unrevealed Order Marker at random?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
I really think this is getting blown out of proportion. We're talking about the MFM here. He's decent, but if they spent an OM on him and kill one of yours, that's a fine trade for you. I don't buy that him killing one of your OMs will "ruin your game" or whatever- it's not like he did very much on his OM. You shouldn't be losing to the MFM- and if you are (and this "costs you the game" or whatever), the real secret is you've made plenty of mistakes leading up to that point. Again, this is really a non-issue in "competitive" play.

However, even if you put your OMs in a line, your opponent doesn't know that. You could have just as easily not put them in a line. Just keep a poker face, as they have no way of knowing what you did. Further, unless you only have one army card left, the fact that you put the "X" on that card proves that you DID know they had an OM-stripping ability. Finally, as for forcing them to play by your interpretation, the ruling is the ruling. It's no different than rolling up and being told by your opponent that your Airborne count against the figure/hex limit, forcing you to sit figures. It's not the opponent's fault.
I agree that this isn't a particularly important question, and that it probably comes up rarely. I do take some issue with the idea of "the ruling is the ruling," why are we having this discussion? As far as I know, there is no official ruling or FAQ on this issue. I understand that GenCon has their own ruling, and if I ever go to GenCon, I'd certainly abide by that ruling, but GenCon isn't an official rules source. Lefton4ya is also a TD, and based on this poll, he has a different interpretation of the rules than you.

Clearly, as a player in a tournament, the answer is to check with the TD beforehand about potential ambiguities and to abide by their ruling. But since we aren't at any particular tournament right now, it's valid to talk about what the most "correct" ruling is, and how TD's ought to rule on this question. If we don't all come to the same answer, it doesn't really matter, not all tournaments have to use the exact same interpretation of the rules. Nevertheless, I don't think it's a pointless discussion to have.

~KoS, who admittedly spends a lot of time thinking about questions with fairly limited practical value.