View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2016, 11:37 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: FeedBack and thank you's for 2016

Really missed you this weekend, Gordon. In the future, please let your friends and family know that Gencon weekend is off-limits for weddings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroche View Post
It's easy enough to test: hold an online tourney and see how it pans out. Make it one of the events at next year's GenCon and see what the organizers and players think. Whatever you end up with, it's win-win.
I'm happy to see someone try the format online if they like, but we only run RtW when it's our Gencon prep event. But if the organizers take successful online events as a sign of whether a format can deliver variety, then there's a large range of formats we've run that clearly show that. I've argued for take 2 more than enough - I'd be happy with it just as a side event.

For a main event format, I actually now prefer reverse draft over take 2, anyway, and I think it better addresses some of the concerns of the organizers. Going through vegie's arguments:
  1. No incentive to bring the cheese. One person did bring cheese in Thursday Night and they got shellacked in both their games. The overall spread of the 11 armies in that event was just as wide as the spread in the main event - maybe wider.
  2. Chances to play your army or your opponent's army in every round.
  3. Everyone has to be comfortable playing with or against their own army (unless they just resolve to bid it into oblivion to get it every time).
  4. No advantage to bringing stuff like Mezzos or rats or unique squads that tend to help you win on points on day 1.
I'm less upset with RtW than I've been in previous years because the metagame has mostly settled down and there are fewer total cheese builds you need to dodge on day 1. But still, they're out there, and I think reverse draft handles this much more elegantly. It's also a lot faster than regular draft.