View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2017, 04:06 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post

Imperial Assault is basically the same game, if it is the theme of Descent that is the issue.
It's not the theme, but the time commitment and amount of rules and such. My sister is more of a lightweight game or party game person, so my brother in law's being overly ambitious in what he wants, vs what my sister would want.

My brother in law has been into Heroscape as long as me, though he has played it more recently than me, as my 14 year old niece and 21 year old nephew would play. But with my nephew mostly away or too busy, my brother in law is looking for something else with them and action for he, my sister and niece to play. He'll just have to look harder for some lighter games that doest require a lot of time or rules.
Something like Mice and Mystics? Pretty straight forward rule set, 100% co-operative and only about 60-90 min a chapter. Seems to go over well with a wide range of experience levels and you don't need a player dedicated to running the bad guys.
I sold the base set and both expansions for M&M a couple months ago I just don't think my sister would dig that either, she's not a dungeon crawl type And the rules weren't so cut and dry, as there is some ambiguity here and there, but yeah, it's fairly light.

As it happens though, I texted her earlier today and she said my brother in law actually picked up Blood Rage. He played it with my 14 year old niece and nephew and they liked it. She hasn't played it yet but feels she will get roped into trying it. I don't know that she'll like it but will find out eventually. My nephew is back and forth from Purdue University, which is a little over an hour, so it wouldn't be as hard to set up this game on occasion for one off games, as opposed to campaign style games.
Well I hope they all can enjoy Blood Rage together. Discovering different people's sweet spots for games is a part of the hobby I really enjoy. It's fun to put a game in front of someone and see a light go on and watch as they smile in appreciation and enjoyment. It can also be frustrating to have the opposite happen, but it's more data for discovering the next hit.

My wife enjoys and is really good at engine building type games, and I'm on the fence on if she'll appreciate Scythe or not. She can handle heavier games and I feel like it's not an overly complex game once you see how it works and understand the actions/options available. I'm going to be trying it as a two player game for the first time later this week with a friend, so I'll see how that goes.