View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2020, 11:46 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Casters of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
@Matthias Maccabeus - ask @dok . He has won multiple Gencons with them
I've actually only won one main event with them, back in 2011. But I've played TKN three times in the main event (2011, 2015, 2018). I was a combined 12-2 when playing those three armies, which is a better winning percentage than my overall main event winning percentage. Those two losses were a loss to a much stronger army (I won the reverse on day 2) and a meaningless final round game where I avoided playing the cheesiest strategy that would probably have been best.

Of course I also had a strong record against the army, but I attribute a lot of that to how tricky the army is to play for those not familiar with it. (Also in 2011 at least three of the four armies I used against it on day 2 were legit A tier armies.)

Ken saying "I don't ever recall struggling to win against him" is a bad argument on at least three levels:
  1. He's better than most players
  2. His recall of his losses is not perfect (a useful trait at times, admittedly)
  3. The armies he plays represent a relatively small slice of the meta

Ken's perspective is valuable of course, but it should be seen in that context.