View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2019, 02:32 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Okay, so I'm technically not playing this game at the moment but this seemed like a good place to this up in. I stopped by a store that trades in new and used board games and I came across a Plaid Hat Games called Starship Samurai. I could not recall hearing of this game before, which seemed odd considering this site's relationship with Plaid Hat Games. I didn't know I needed giant samurai robots, but once I saw the minis I felt I had to have them. Since the price on the game seemed like a fairly good deal at about $3.50 each for 8 large miniatures, I bought the game for the mini's alone. I hope to paint a few of them up at some point. Not sure how soon I will get around to playing the game itself though as I have quite the backlog of games already with more on the way via kickstarter. Anyone have any insight to the game play of Starship Samurai or know anything else about it?
I really like this game! It’s an area control game with some resource management, but it’s so simple to learn and teach and the action starts immediately.

If you’ve played or seen Smash Up, this has some similarities in that your are trying to control and score points on a base that other players will also be vying for in order to earn victory points (honor). There are units, small ships and the giant mechs, that will earn you points, and there is card play which can help push you over the egde to winning a base (planet) by messing with your opponent(s) or otherwise benefiting you.

Battles are resolved each round and you play until all the planets are claimed, so there is a game clock / set number of rounds based on the number of players.

There is also a clan track where you can earn honor by influencing eight different clans, either by moving them up your own track or down another players track.

What’s great about Starship Samurai besides the theme and awesome mechs, is how much strategy you get from a simple rule set.

If you like the base game, there’s an expansion out now that adds two new mechs and 40 new cards.