View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:41 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
My one suggestion for this community - if you have ANY hope of ever seeing HeroScape revived - is for all of us to buy this new MtG: AotP product now (even if only for the potential customized figures down the road) to make their initial production run very successful.
Sales of Magic: AotP will not bring back Heroscape as we know it. Yes, Heroscape was cancelled in part due to marketing mistakes by Hasbro, but also because of larger economic shifts Hasbro had no control over, like skyrocketing oil prices, a global recession and rising foreign labor costs. Heroscape, with its affordable prepainted plastic figures and terrain, came along at pretty much the only point in history it could have, and instead of moaning about it being gone we should be thankful we got it in the first place.
I absolutely agree with you @Sherman Davies - There's a 98.6% probability that WE will NEVER see HeroScape come back as WE knew it. And I also agree with @chas 's comments regarding Craig Van Ness having given us a early Christmas present with MtG:AotP. I guess the point that I was trying to make I when I referred to HS being "revived" is *NOT* a re-release of any original Master Sets (as sad as that makes me feel, I believe that it is the TRUTH), but that - more hexagonal tiles and 'compatible' figures will ONLY be produced IF enough customers are asking for them, in order to demonstrate to the Hasbro corporate accountants that a DEMAND for them does exist, which they can profit from. This seems to me to be a more logical and practical approach than the emotional appeals of lamenting the "Good Old Days," complaining about what could have been, and forming a chanting picket line outside their office building. The image of that reminds me of the scene from Monty Python's "Search for the Holy Grail" movie in which the group of monks are bashing their heads against blocks of wood.

yes, Yes, YES . . . I am VERY thankful that I have a HUGE HeroScape collection, and for ALL the FUN that I've had with it over the past decade. I only wish that I had more local friends to share this experience with. I do miss the "Good Old Days." Not because HS was plentiful (and cheap at Clearance Prices) at all the big-box stores and many FLGS, but because there were just more opportunities to play with it, talk about it, and I didn't have to drive hundreds of miles to participate in an occasional regional tournament. I am hopeful for a revival of attitudes toward light, fantasy 'war-gaming' on 3D terrain boards with a hexagonal grid. IF I have to accept customized Magic: The Gathering figures and modified rules to see this goal even partially achieved, THEN that seems like a small enough sacrifice that I am willing to pay. Otherwise I might as well sell all my HS stuff and start to play War Hammer 40K or some other nonsense that has not yet gone OOP.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE