View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2022, 10:03 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Smurf along with me: la la la-la la la!

Last week, I began reviving this project! I'm creating the template as an online web page that you can use to the generate cards.

Somehow I lost my previous (Word) version, so that's set me back a bit, but not too much because I have the images in this thread to work from (I have to "rediscover" font sizes, weights, exact placements, shading information, etc.).

While I'm doing that recreating, I do have one new thing I can show you. I don't think we were ever totally happy with the range and movement icons. We kinda made peace with the idea that that's the best we had, but they looked out of place with the somewhat more detailed skull/shield icons we moved to.

For range, I think the rifle scope is still the best concept we've got. However, I think putting something "scapey" in the sights of the scope might improve the icon. The idea is to have some hexes on the bottom half of the scope with a creature standing on the hexes as being what the scope is pointed at. Keep in mind, to fit the theme of the icons (which tied back to the MRAD colors from the original cards), the whole thing has be shades of gray for range. Here's a proof of concept, with a few coloring options. (Warning: its grayness is going to look pretty boring out-of-context of the rest of the card):

I'm not totally happy with it, but I think it's going in the right direction. One obvious problem (that I realized too late for this post) is that I will have to create a rifle scope representation without big "knobs" sticking out on the outside to be more cohesive with the skull and shield.

What do you all think? You can see a reminder of what the current range icon looks like (on the text-heavy Augamo card) in the spoiler:
Spoiler Alert!
(The ogre is cartoony--that seemed right vs. a more realistic depiction given the stat is going to be right over the top of it. The thought is a simpler creature there might stay more recognizable as a creature being within the sight, but maybe I should try it with something more a bit more realistic.)

Regarding the movement icon, I haven't mocked that up yet, but the idea is pretty straightforward, and one I referenced earlier in the thread. Show an overhead view of few hexes with a line/arrow representing movement over them. I'll create a mockup soon. That icon has to be green to meet the callback requirement to the move areaa on the original cards, which is actually quite nice because the hexes get to be green, as in grass.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK