View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroes of Fiction: Playtesting Thread

Dr. Who playtests: The Doctor vs. Heroes
Had to try out the home-made Thaelenk Tundra I just finished, so all battles were on Arctic Divide from the BoV. Played with normal ice and light snow.

The Doctor faced off against Sir Denrick, Agent Carr, and Syvarris, winning all 3 matches. Carr was the only opponent that came close to defeating The Doctor.

No glyphs were used for the Hero battles, so Sonic Screwdriver did not come into play.

Brilliant was amazingly effective. If I counted correctly, Brilliant was 13/15, obviously well above probabilities.

Run! helped the Doctor control the game and usually set up an attack with Brilliant.

The Run!/Brilliant combo was much more effective than I had imagined. IMO, even if Brilliant's rolls had been closer to the 50/50 you'd expect, Run! still would have helped the Doc and prolonged the game long enough for Doc to whittle away with Brilliant.

I know it's only the Hero tests, but at this point, Dr. Who looks a little underpriced at 100. If time permits, I will have some squad tests posted tomorrow evening.

Spoiler Alert!

-------------
Dr. Who Squad Tests and 1 additional Hero test
BoV Map: Arctic Divide

Dr. Who is a squad-killing machine. The Run/Brilliant combo proved super-effective again.

The Snipers were able to score 3 wounds thanks to some failed Run rolls, but Brilliant denied defense rolls and took them out relatively quickly.

Brilliant was just as effective against the Krav - especially since Stealth Dodge didn't even come into play.

I did finally find someone around 100 points who could take out the Doctor 1 on 1 - The Feral Troll. His Regenerate ability constantly removed the one wound that Brilliant could inflict. The Doctor's only chance was to gain high ground and hope for 2 skulls with each normal attack. The only other option was for the Doctor to continually move around the battlefield not allowing the Troll to engage then wait for boredom to set in with the players.

Spoiler Alert!

Even with the Troll's success, at this point, I still think Dr. Who is either underpriced or overpowered. I'm going to try to get an army battle in tonight before bedtime.

--------------

Army Test
BoV map: Arctic Divide. Glyphs: Nilrend and Wannok
Dr. Who, Agent Carr, Sir Denrick, Omnicron Snipers, Krav Maga vs. Sonlen, Syvarris, Major Q10, Feral Troll
A long, 10 round battle came down to Dr. Who vs. Major Q10. Doc didn't have the amazing success with Run or Brilliant this time around, though it did keep him and some of his friends in the game longer. The Doctor is vulnerable to specials that place a wound without an attack. Sonlen's Dragon Swoop was able to hit Doc on occasion. Feral troll fell before having a chance to go after the Doctor.
Spoiler Alert!

Edit:
Random thoughts...
... Dr. Who would be absolute murder against the Deathwalkers.
... High-life heroes and Negation may be the best defense against the Brilliant/Run combo.

After all the tests, I still believe Doc is underpriced. Maybe not as much as I originally did. Somewhere around 120, maybe slightly more. Hopefully someone else will get a chance to test the Doc and perhaps that will give us a better handle on the points.

I'll add my Theme Test thoughts tomorrow evening. Too late tonight...head tired...eyes heavy...almost dozing off at keyboard...

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031

Last edited by mac122; September 9th, 2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added Squad tests to this post.