View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2016, 12:57 AM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The C3G Cave - Hangout

I find the current dialogue quite fascinating. Fwiw, I'm currently working on my MFA in screenwriting and have made a decent living for myself writing scripts/screenplays. In short, it's a lot of work. There is a lot going on that a typical fan (even in this transparent information age) isn't aware of and the informed fan doesn't get to see.

It is a complicated industry and much of one's success is determined by one's contacts (although this could be said of many industries). Some of the best screenplays are never even made into movies and their scripts live in development hell. Some of the best writers can't make the right connections to get their stuff optioned. Some of the worst writers make a lot of money writing drivel. Some writers have to watch in horror as they see their screenplay turn into something they didn't write.

Nevertheless, I still hope to at least option one script with a Hollywood creator of some kind in my lifetime ... Ha, if I'm lucky it'll get made into a movie that everyone hates. I'm not a huge fan of Goyer's work but there are worse professionals working inside and outside of Hollywood ... and props to him for finding consistent work in the Hollywood side of the industry. I'd love to be writing Hollywood blockbusters rather than the latest edition of Electrical Engineers v Application Engineers: Starting the Design Process.

As far as BvS is concerned, I plan to judge it for myself. I'll be seeing it tomorrow night. Many didn't like Man of Steel but I found the film engaging and cathartic; the latter being something I don't get from Marvel's "fun" films (Don't get me wrong ... I like Marvel's films ). Additionally, despite some parts of the film that bothered me (Goyer's dialogue for instance) I found the film to be underappreciated for its cinematic qualities and symbolism that were more layered than just Snyder likes sepia and slow-motion or Superman=Jesus.

I don't expect BvSDoJ to be a masterpiece or even amazing (can't remember the last time I expected any superhero film to be "amazing" ... okay, maybe Amazing Spiderman 2 ) but at the end of the day tomorrow, I hope to have enjoyed the film more than the critics apparently did.