View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2021, 10:33 AM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Competitive 4x400 armies

Hi Maytrix -

I'll also be attending ScapeCon, look forward to meeting you there.

As a starting point, in case you don't know there's a Heroscape podcast called 'Casters of Valhalla' hosted by OEAO (the person who's organizing ScapeCon). In the 3rd episode of the podcast, good/favorite armies for the 4x400 event are discussed during a section of the podcast. Here's a link in case you want to listed to it:
https://castersofvalhalla.wixsite.co...3-a-to-a-units
That podcast doesn't include VC units, but it's still a good intro for 4x400 armies with classic scape only.

As for thoughts on your armies, generally having more of the common squad is good (Romans/Heavies especially). I'm guessing (could be wrong) that you only have 2x Heavies, which might be why you included a single squad of 10th, but replacing that squad of 10th with a 3rd squad of Heavies definitely improves the army if you can.

Similarly with the Romans, it's just kind hard to get great value out of a 2x mele squad in a 'cheese' event (bringing the best army(s) you can). If you're facing an army with any range, you're going to be down to 5 or 6 romans before they can ever engage anything. You said you weren't a fan of rats much, but rats are much better at filling the role of a screen for a ranged hero like Q10 than 2x Romans are (glyph grabbing through better move, better defense, cheaper, off-turn movement, etc.).

Nilf with Greenscales x2 is definitely strong; usually the 3rd squad of Greenscales is crucial, but with Raelin you might get away with just x2 of them. But Nilf is certainly a strong hero (especially with Raelin) who can shred armies. The downside to this army is that sometime in round 2 your Order Marker placement is going to get tricky once you're down to 2 or 3 Greenscales.

TBH I'm not as familiar with the Varks as a lot of other people on the site, so I'll skip discussing them in favor of hoping someone who knows them better than I do comes along.

- Chris