View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM

TheRealQ has disabled reputation
Re: The Book of Deathstalkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranas
Well, thank you Netherspirit! But this is not exactly what I was looking for. Suppose you are fighting against a Hero figure (5-6 life) and you have the choice to fight on level ground or from above. Which choice is better? Although your chances of using Maul goes down when you have height advantage, is it better to use 4 attack dice or 3 on level ground?
3 Attack Dice against 3 Defense Dice:
0 Wounds 48.6%
1 Wound 27.8%
2 Wounds 11.1%
3 Wounds 12.5%

4 Attack Dice against 3 Defense Dice:
0 Wounds 34.6%
1 Wound 29.6%
2 Wounds 22.2%
3 Wounds 7.4%
4 Wounds 6.3%

So at 3 defense dice, it's always better to take the high ground. i'd imagine that at higher defense dice (possibly 4) it's worth it to stay on even ground. I'd repeat the calculations, but I have actual work I should be getting back to .
I didn't do all the calculations so can't show all the stats but the same pattern shows up for a defense of anything from 3-8. In defenses lower than 3 the chance to inflict a wound on a squad has only a minimal difference but still has an advantage with 4 dice.

The one obvious time that the lower dice count would be advantageous is against DW9000 with his 9 defense. At 9D neither an attack of 3 or 4 has much of a chance of penetrating(theory...we all know what really happens with WhiffWalker9000) but with the Maul ability you have double the chance to ignore defense with 3 dice than with 4 dice.

Other times that the lower dice total may prove useful would be against Counterstrike(Samurai), Defensive Agility(Warriors of Ashra), and One Shield Defense(Crixus)