View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:20 PM

Apotheox is surprisingly tart
Re: The Soulscape Project- Converting the Dark Souls game to

[Phantom Apotheox summoned]

Nice to see someone starting this to make use of those amazing minis. I like to make customs for random characters that I'll probably never play with (lol), so I've had these two typed up for a while. Here's my first interpretation of Ornstein and Smough:

Dragonslayer Ornstein
Spoiler Alert!

Executioner Smough
Spoiler Alert!

I chose Jandar because of their loyalty to Gwyn, who would probably be favored by Jandar more than other Archkyrie. That and the aesthetics of Anor Londo scream Jandar. Castles, knights, praise the sun, and all that other good stuff that Jandar dreams about at night.

I want two players on the same team to be able to draft one of each so they can combo them together, but as is, the only thing stopping both players on a team from drafting both (and thus double dipping with the healing and increased damage ) is not having 2 sets of O&S

Funnily enough, destroying Ornstein first is probably still the best strategy, since the "Whirlwind Assault" Smough would gain might have a bit of redundancy and overlap with his special attack, whereas Ornstein would gain a more varied range of target selection than Smough.

320 combined points should leave some room for at least one squad of Silver Knights or maybe some Hollow Soldiers (for 400 point games), and allow more units at 450, 500, etc.

As for bonding these guys with Silver Knights, I say neigh. You never fight them together, and there is no lore justification for bonding (aside from belonging to the same kingdom, which isn't enough to qualify in my opinion). Not everything that fits thematically needs bonding. Bonding is one of the best mechanics you can use to hint at a narrative between different units, and IIRC, there is no direct narrative between O&S and the Silver Knights. In fact, Dark Souls boils down to a string of mostly solo enemy encounters with rarely any sort of "synergistic" cooperation between them. Ornstein and Smough being the most iconic exception. I feel like any Heroscape adaptation should reflect this feeling. However, those that do work together should definitely have synergy, such as bonding. I hope you agree, but that's my on that matter.