View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
hey CornPuff. i know Logrey has experimented in the past with XML as a format for saving and exchanging maps, rather than the .sol files of Flash. and he plans to work this into his version 4 of LS. (in fact, the .sol files are XML that are "scrambled" for proprietary reasons.)

the one thing i want to do with scenarios is allow plugging different scenarios into the same battlefield rather than doing a "copy" of the same battlefield with each scenario. so i'm still thinking about how to represent this in the XML battlefield file.

for tools, i'm a bit of a reductionist. only using notepad. i should look into other tools though. and i'm still quite the novice with XSLT. i use the Saxon parser on my laptop but haven't figured out all of its features yet.

here is the XSLT file:
http://heroscape.glasq.com/online/sc...attlefield.xsl

however it's far from its final form and it needs more documentation. and this will not be it's permanent url. just putting it at this location temporarily for the purpose of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornPuff
I really dig the fact that you are making an XML based format. I would love to use your format to create a map database.
i was getting started on a map database via a different XML structure back in the HQ days. but that was for organizing PDFs generated by LS. instead i'm concentrating on putting the maps themselves (terrain objects pieced togther) into XML first; then work on a map database (higher level info about maps). although this is a bit of an uphill climb with a learing curve and RL distractions.

you can use this format anytime you want, but it would be better to wait a bit until i get scenarios worked into it which should be a couple more weeks i think.