View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2020, 02:18 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
I've been thinking about RtW for a bit now. I'm not sure if it's because TTO was cancelled and I missed NHSD for the first time in over a decade or it it's because I'm literally bored out of my mind with all these Zoom meetings and court hearings, maybe a bit of both.

I'm generally curious about how many of you guys put a lot of thought into what to bring to RtW? And if so, what does the process look like? Is it more of a process say then when you're just doing old school bring the best army?

Is it like, hey wolves of Badru look cool, I'm going to try that? (We all know which one of us does this...)

Or is it more like ok, I need X to beat Y, but X is too strong so I can bring A but A struggles against B, so I need C to beat B.

Then once you come up with the above do you play-test it? If so against what? because RtW had a pretty wide range of things you may see.

Then after you play-test do you have a few buddies you run the idea by and say, "hey what do you think about this?" Or do you do that earlier in the process?

Do you flip flop your armies tons of times? Or do you pretty much stay the course once you decide on something?

Do you see the point totals and start working things in your head right after they are posted, or do you say, hmm, gencon is next week I better start figuring out what I need to bring?

I'm not sure this 100 percent plays into this thread, but I think it does at some levels.
I play a lot of defensive pod armies for RtW.

For building those, it's mostly deciding which figure fits each "piece" best for the given point total. Raelin, a screen, some ranged offense, a SA, and something that can hit hard (4+ attack) are generally the "roles" I'm looking to fill. I've got a general idea of what pieces fill each of those roles best, and I play around with different combinations until I find one I like for the given point maximum. Often I have to choose between a SA hero and a hero that hits harder, like Crixus.

Not a ton of playtesting in there for me, mostly theoryscape, but that's more to do with a lack of people to play test against currently.