View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2010, 02:07 AM

Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What's your favorite music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwsm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
I'll probably get a reply to this one. Exactly what is metal?
It's just really intense rock music. Usually it involves screaming at some point in the song, then a short guitar solo is played. This is considered "shredding," though I haven't listened to metal in a while. Unless Metallica or Iron Maiden is considered metal (which I don't think they are), then the last metal song I listened to was 10,000 by Disturbed.
You are saying you don't think Iron Maiden is metal!?

Iron Maiden is soooo Metal.

I can understand Metallica, at least from the Black Album to Saint Anger, but you have to agree Kill 'em All to Justice is metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
Some metal bands:
Metallica
Slipknot (Nu: Metal)
Chimaira
Five Finger Death Punch
Shinedown (WHAT!!!!!!)
Sevendust
Rob Zombie
Hatebreed
Pantera
Mudvayne (SP?)
Disturbed
Slayer
Iron Maiden
(Kind of): (WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!)

Judas Priest

Metal generally has low-notes, or bass, guitars, drums, and a singer. I'm not quite sure on how to describe the rhythm.
How could you say Shinedown is metal!? They are hard rock!
"Kind of" for Iron Maiden!?

I reiterate:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Iron Maiden is soooo metal.
I would describe elements of the rhythm as changing time signatures, 16th notes, overdriven, palm muting, power chords, and odd beat count.

Palm muting is achieved when one places the hand on the strings just at the bridge to achieve a more percussive sound. Power chords are perfect fifths in two or 3 notes. Overdrive is achieved when the gain of an amplifier and guitar is high enough to clip the signal's resonance peak.

It depends on the genre of metal but most features a few beats of palm muted low notes followed by a short ascending or descending power chord riff or a dissonant possibly non chromatic scale pattern in a measure. These measure usually repeat several times while the singer screams an accompaniment and the drummer usually applies fast drumming, such as the double kick, which is 16th note bass drum strikes.
This formula can be applied to the verse, chorus, and bridge, intro, and outro.

Another element of metal comes from hardcore punk. The breakdown. Slow, palm muted, 4/4 half notes with syncopated 8th notes. In other words "1-2-3-4&1-2-3-4&1-2-3-4. It creates a buildup at 4th notes and release at the 8th notes.

Strong arms and sharp steel rule this world.
Never believe any different.

Last edited by Richard; October 21st, 2010 at 02:38 AM.