View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2019, 02:42 PM

OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Unit Debate # 69 Arrow Gruts vs Blade Gruts

@lefton4ya a few nights ago I added my blurb for Blades:

Blade Gruts: Perhaps the most underrated bonding melee squad in the game. Movement is very underrated, and 6 move provides amazing incremental positional advantages that add up over the course of the game. While Blades suffer from a terrible matchup against Q9, the rest of their matchup spread in the current meta is fine. Their main problem is that they don't have any blowout matchups in their favor. A-

Obviously, my feelings on which is better is pretty obvious. Blades are dirt cheap and have great bonding synergies. Outside of Q9 (either solo or backed by Raelin) or other bigs (specifically when backed by Raelin), they can handle pretty much anything in the top tiers of competitive play.

A lot of people think that Charos, TKN, and Hounds would be bad matchups, but they really aren't. Blades do fine against Charos because of how cheap they are and thanks to the help of their bonding heroes to buff their stats. The same is true of TKN; both of these are 50/50s. However, if they have Raelin with either of them, it's near impossible.

Hounds vs. Blades is a weird matchup that oddly does not favor Hounds. Blades can afford to take some Plague casualties and still come out ahead. Once again, probably a 50/50, maybe leaning towards a 55-45 in favor of the Blades.

The problem with Blades is that they have a lot of these tossup matchups, putting a much higher burden on player skill than Heavies. With Heavies, you can play sloppily and still win games. That is generally untrue for Blades, as a single mistake can cost you the game. Also, the opponent has agency, and you need to outplay them to consistently win tossup matchups. Blades are great vs more inexperienced players, but can struggle vs the top tier of players.

All these are the reasons I don't generally bring Blades to non-Reverse the Whip tournaments. I think they're real close to being T1, but T1.5 isn't bad. Arrows are decidedly T2 imo.