View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:15 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: 2010 Main Event Armies

I think that if you're going to play Torin, you want lots and lots of medium Utgar ranged figures. While Minions standing adjacent to Torin are basically immune to normal ranged attacks, a smart opponent (who lacks a special with a range of 6+) is just going to avoid engaging those Minions until everything else is gone. If the Minions move, they lose the evil eye bonus.

I also think you also want Raelin with Torin. Raelin's aura enhances Evil Eye significantly. You can park Raelin 3 hexes behind Torin so that all the figures adjacent to Torin benefit from the aura as well, but opposing ranged figures need to push forward to hit Raelin. If you do this on the side of the map, you can pretty much force your opponent to get within range of your stingers in order to take out Raelin.

My favorite Torin army would probably be Torin, Raelin, Stingersx4, Deathreaversx2. But since that's 520, you have to do something different. Earlier in the thread I suggested

120 Torin
80 Raelin RotV
300 Stingers x5
500, 18 hexes

If you want a rat-screen, you could do something like:

120 Torin
80 Raelin
80 Deathreavers x2
50 Marro Warriors
180 Stingers x3
510, 24 hexes

Obviously, that's taking your whole startzone on day 1, so day 2 upgrades are a little strained, but it's a really solid army against ranged hordes like 4th Mass, or anything that has trouble with a rat screen.