View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2017, 10:03 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: dok's battle reports

REVERSE DRAFT

As I did last year, I ran a reverse draft event on Thursday night that used the same army limits as the main event format, so that people could test-drive their main event armies if they wanted to. At this point I was already leaning towards a Roman build for the main event, but I decided to give a tron/wyrmling combo a whirl in this event to see how it did. I went with Gladiatrons x1, Blastatrons x2, Raelin (RotV), Red Wyrmling x2, Black Wyrmling x3.

The verdict… not so good.

Once again I ended up with the first round bye.

ROUND 2
Opponent: Major Q23 (Mezzos x1, Drones x3, Raelin (RotV), Alastair, Deathreavers x1)
Map: Remains of Clionesia (Kelda + Lodin)

In the bidding, I dropped Marcu, one Red, and one Blast.

Both of us threw our Raelins up on height, and I locked down the first run of drones with my Glads. However, the Drones just killed my 6 defense glads without issue, while my attacks of 3 against Q23’s Raelin couldn’t dent her. William continued to ignore my Raelin and killed my blasts, while I continued to not kill things. It kind of spiralled out from there; I did get Raelin to 4 wounds with the wyrms but of course she burned Kelda on the next order marker. I managed to take out most of the Drones, but Alistair easily cleaned up a wounded Raelin and my wyrms to take the game.

ROUND 3
Opponent: Infectedsloth (Brutes x2, Mezzos x1, Raelin (RotV), Kozuke, Tarns)
Map: Wyrmwalk (Kelda + Unique Attack)

I dropped Marcu in the bidding. IS immediately regretted letting me off so easy, but it turned out fine for him.

I was a bit more conservative in my Raelin placement this game, but Nathan threw his Raelin up as far as he could so that his figures could still get the Raelin boost while attacking me. There’s not a ton to say here, really - He brought the Tarns and the Brutes into play, and once again my Gladiatrons didn’t hold up nearly as well as the opposing squaddies. I kind of lost focus in the second half of this one, but it was not really going to go my way anyway.

So… yeah. My lifetime record at Gencon in the reverse draft events is 0-4.