View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2022, 02:54 AM
Casing the Corners

toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Namor (A+X) (Public Playtesting)

NAME OF THE PLAYTEST UNIT: Namor
Version Tested:
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Map: City Park
Units:
Namor (280), Magneto (II) (375), Destiny (55), Mystique (II) (200), Black Tom Cassidy (160), Pyro (120), Skrull Infiltrator (10)
Cap (I) (240, Iron Man MKIV (250), Luke Cage (190), Spider-Man (250), Wolverine (Avengers) (270)
Results:
Solid win for the Brotherhood. The Fighters were at a disadvantage early by Magneto throwing Luke Cage out of bonding range, and he and Namor ganging up on him with Auto-Wounds, with Luke destroyed by the end of Round 1. Similarly, the duo were able to bypass Cap and Spidey’s defenses as well. After Magneto and Namor fell, it was plausible that Wolverine could take the rest of the Brotherhood by himself, but he succumbed to the volley of attacks.

The sum of Magneto making Namor an Outcast, tossing opponents into engagement with Namor, setting up for Namor’s followup turn from Mystique, with Destiny boosting everyone’s rolls was a villainous combination.

Arrogant Avenger did influence my draft, as originally I would have brought Sabretooth (290) instead of Black Tom (160), Pyro (120) and Skrull Infiltrator x1 (10), but because Destiny needs an unrevealed OM to boost rolls, and rather than have Namor deny a Mystique turn, it was better to just have Destiny bond with Black Tom, so I would only lose her boost after revealing OM3 on her, and neither she nor Tom need the boost anyway. And Pyro benefits from her boost as well, whereas Sabretooth does not.
In the end though, 1 turn with Namor might be better than a bonded turn with Black Tom and Destiny, so can’t go wrong either way.

Namor was a real star, with much due to the high-synergy web. R4 was massive though, as losing initiative allowed Namor to engage and attack Cap for 4 wounds from a single hit, crippling Cap’s OM1 turn, and setting himself up to Imperius Rex both Cap and Spider-Man on Mystique's OM1.
Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Map: City Park
Units:
Namor (280), Bizarro (II) (260), Spider-Man (Avengers) (280), Doctor Fate (II) (370), Spells (10)
Nightwing (200), Raven (190), Starfire (210), Arsenal (190), Tempest (210), Cyborg (200)
Results:
I was boneheaded, and did the opposite of my intended play.
The intention was to have Bizarro and Spider-Man soften everyone up and take a beating, send in Namor to take over once Bizarro fell, with Doctor Fate ensuring that I lost initiative for a double dose of Arrogant Avenger and Bizarro Am Number 1 + Avenging Team-Up, and helping Namor land successful Imperius Rex rolls until Fate comes in to clean up.
Instead, I basically fed Namor to the Titans, and he was destroyed R1T3.
I expected to lose after that, but Bizarro was tanking freakishly well, setting up Fate for cleanup, who came in with a miraculous Lightning Bolt that destroyed Nightwing right when I needed it.
The Namor team basically won because R2, R3, R5 and R6 were all rounds where I destroyed the figure with the Titans’ next Order Marker/s.
So despite Namor not factoring into the game much at all, the results are proof that the army works well, and would work even better when played correctly.
Should note that we later realized Arsenal missed many opportunities to use Cover Fire.
I would consider this game extremely close, and could easily have gone the other way.
Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT'S COST, BALANCE, & DRAFTABILITY:
So cool when a figure can inspire interesting drafts via unique mechanics, like Arrogant Avenger did in the Doctor Fate/Bizarro build. Both test armies are ones I will play again, and I can’t wait to try him in the Illuminati, with other Mutant leaders, and with fellow sea folk.

Balance wise, he seems well costed. Not overpowering, and not as straightforward as Wolverine (I) (280), but he maximizes easily in thematic builds, and pays off. He’ll be a great early pull in tourneys and leagues because of all the directions you can go with him.

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT:
He rules!

Last edited by toyhandle; September 19th, 2022 at 08:27 AM.