View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Justice League Design Discussion *Brainstorming*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressive Sock View Post
Just purely brainstorming here:

All the new designs are given the same class, we'll use Defender for this example.
Fwiw, I like the change the class idea a bit more than the marker idea (less hardware, cuts out other synergies in a pleasing way), though I'd go with Champion or League Member as the class.

That said, both you and I know at this point that we'd be settling for an OK idea, rather than going for a platinum one (johnny, I'm going to convert you to what we're doing yet!).

You've made a ton of excellent posts here that, to me at least, really detail why the Justice League Strategy Glyphs are such a good idea (working title there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Sock, what you are talking about with lynch pin units to form the team around can be achieved for the JL in the same way. The glyph system isn't needed to achieve the same result that previous figure cards achieved.
That's absolutely true. But I think Sock and I are both arguing that the Glyphs are a fairly elegant way to achieve better and unique results that will make this team play in a way really unique to this team and that will express its personality a lot better than mirroring the Avengers would (it's a slanted mirror, but still a mirror).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressive Sock View Post
If the markers end up being the way to go, of course I'll be happy. I'll also be annoyed that what we had was decent to begin with, only we needed to cover 20 other options before others could see it.
I think "decent" is the keyword here, which is why the only annoying thing would be to fall back to "decent" when, IMO, we've arrived on great (and could get greater still if we work to hone it - Japes' idea took our path up to the next level in a major way already, for instance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressive Sock
With that said, I legitimately feel these Justice League Glyphs are something special. They are "WOW" they have "Umph".
I really think we're on the path to johnny's "Rome" here. And I don't think they're as new in a scary/gamebreaking way as some folks seem to think in the current version. They're basically just their own type of Utility Glyph at this point. The JL hub (Martian Manhunter 2.0 most likely) is just bringing Justice League Strategies to the game, and expressing those in glyphs.

Justice League is a collection of individuals. Their strategies have always been about what those individuals can do to make each other better. This approach will be endlessly flexible and endlessly customizable and will leave tons of room for individual characters NOT called out on the glyphs to join Justice League armies and benefit from the powers as well, because the powers will be slanted toward team play and towards helping other figures (as many of our examples have shown). They'll just be thematic in that they'll call out specific iconic characters for those boosts to occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Initial thought. It feels like a lot of work for little gain.
It should be no more work than Batman 2.0 was, really. So I think it's extremely doable. It's designing one Unique Hero instead of three as well, so there might actually be a work efficiency advantage all things told.

And I disagree with the "little gain" of course, but that kind of moves to the next key point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole
~Dysole, who likes the idea of both JL and Avengers utilizing similar concepts aka markers
I think we have two key camps right now, philosophically. We have those like Dysole, who view the Justice League as kind of Avengers Blue and the Avengers as Justice League Red - they're thematic parallels, just set in different universes, so it's nice and consistent for them just to mirror each other with slight tweaks to make each unique (let me know if I'm mischaracterizing you here, btw, please!)

Then there are those like johnny, who view the Justice League as a completely unique group that deserves completely unique treatment. It's ironic that he seems to most favor hanging synergy on class, since that's been done to death in terms of team synergy to this point, IMO, but that's an aside. johnny's looking not for a good idea, or a great one, but the "perfect" idea, and rejects treading down a path too similar to the Avengers.

So there seems to be the "Avenger Mirror" camp and the "Wow Factor" camp. I'm in the "Wow Factor" camp, and I think the Justice League Strategy Glyphs have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
When I proposed the glyph system I mentioned that I thought it would be difficult to balance and cost which is why my preferred is still a Marker system.
I don't think it would be significantly more difficult to balance and cost than Batman 2.0's Utility Glyphs are. Your giving us that template to work off really helps this all fall into place, IMO. It was a great idea that really brought this concept to the next level and now I just have to convince you of your own brilliance.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.