View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:27 AM

Pygon knows what's in an order marker Pygon knows what's in an order marker
Plain old text files are just easier to program on and debug, too. I was debating on making the savegames binary, but pff... why? So they have the same format, except with an optional FIGURES block at the end. And the host already communicates the custom map files down to the client (it doesn't communicate the textures or the hardcoded army card data, since those are part of the package), so practically all the savegame work was done already. It just made sense.

What might be a problem is having to convert a physical map into one of these text files. You have to draw the map out on hex paper, plot out the hexes and their heights, and count over and down to place the other objects like ruins and trees, etc. When I add a new map, it usually takes me 1-2 hours, depending on how complex it is. I still need to get the VS file format from Zzzzz, so a converter for one of those files could be another option. That would allow someone to set up a map using VS, run it through the converter, and voila.