View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2015, 09:34 AM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker
Re: AotP Question Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaniac27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtato View Post
Dual Casting: Does the spell I cast as a result of casting Dual Casting count towards my 3-spell per turn limit?

2: No, because if Dual Casting were cast ad my 3rd spell, its effect would have to be negated.
My response is, yes it does. It reads; "Play a red sorcery from your graveyard that you played this turn," not "copy a red sorcery." I can't think of any AotP card currently that copies a spell, but in Magic, casting (or playing) a card is not the same as copying a card or effect (a copied spell or ability immediately goes on "The Stack" and not cast). Granted, WotC could just be trying to avoid the concept of "The Stack" even though its how you resolve multiple instances.

Dual Casting specifically states you must play a sorcery from your graveyard that you played this turn.

But I don't have a rulebook in front of me to see if there's an FAQ.

That's the agreement that my opponent and I arrived at during the game that this situation presented itself, for the same reasons you listed ("play" vs. "copy"), but when I got to thinking about it afterwards, I thought it seemed a bit odd to have a card which, by its own rules, must be played as your second spell for that turn. Casting it as your first would leave you with no valid targets, and casting it third would use up your last spell for the turn, disallowing you to complete the instructions on the card. I feel like if the card was meant to be cast in a specific order, it would specify somehow. Magic is too careful when it comes to specificity ("play" vs "copy", "choose" vs "target" etc.), to leave something like that up to the imagination.