View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2022, 01:23 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: THE MOON HAS WINGS - a zombie story

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend
Two things are starting to bug me. Firstly, a lack of characterization. I know it's early on and I know this is a zombie tale with action and all that, but those first introductions are critical for giving readers a basic idea of who the characters are.
I'm wondering if this is a result of (again with the exception of Thomas) opening mid-hook for everyone else a.k.a. character establishment having to wait until later. I guess we'll see if that strategy pays off or not depending on if you warm to any of the characters over time or remain disinterested as things go along.

That is a huge chunk of how I tend to characterize so that may be an issue.
Well there's lots of ways to show character through action, and especially interaction. In fact, it's something I'm trying to get better at. It just matters what you show. Like for instance, I was thinking the other night that with a few minor tweaks, you could have generated massive sympathy for Brooke when she played the guitar, if you focused on why she was doing it. If she was doing it specifically to cheer the others up, that would go a long way towards making her more heroic. Even if she was just playing to cheer/calm herself, that's something, as she's resisting the effects of the apocalypse in her own way. But as it stands, I can only guess at why she did that. There are hints, yes, but nothing super solid.

Side note: When operating with a group like this, you've got to be careful to keep sympathy more or less balanced between them. If one character has far more sympathy than others, the reader starts to tire of the less-sympathetic characters and hold every little thing against them.

You can totally open mid-hook; I do it all the time. It's a great way to suck the reader into the action. But making sure we care about the characters ASAP is critical. I like to open mid-hook, with the character doing something sure to gain them sympathy. Dan opens as the victim of an injustice. So does Dilmir. Raelin opens conflicted between a selfish desire and a selfless one. Utgar opens with discipline, strength, and soon afterwards, resourcefulness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend
Firstly, since the beginning the soldiers have made comments about 'we're all dead anyway', and I don't know what that means. Secondly, the guy with the blue eye is obviously known by the soldiers, but that isn't explained.
I think both of these are misunderstandings so I will explain because you're not going to get answers to either of them in the text moving forward. Firstly any references to everyone being dead already is referring to the previously-mentioned comets that are expected to hit the Earth. Secondly the soldiers did not know who Nazar was, mistaking him for a civilian at first until he flashed an ID card that was a sufficient identifier of some sort of military rank. So just for reference they do not know who he is, only that he outranks them and as such they do what he says.

Spoiler Alert!
Ah, okay. I didn't know the comets were sure to hit the earth, it sounded like they were moving too fast to tell. My immediate question though is... what happened to them in that case? Four months have gone by... are they still there?

~TGRF, off to read some more.